New East teachers: The Threequel

Hayley Gassick Feature Editor

For the 2023 school year, Bellevue East has gained new staff and teachers. Last issue Laura Heath, Mark Coup, and Jennifer Cole were covered. In the third installment of covering the new teachers, this issue we cover Nathaly Larios Vasquez, Eric Lenear, and Matt Malcom will be in the spotlight. According to Edutopia, new teachers bring benefits to schools because they have new ideas and new perspectives. 

Larios Vasquez attended Lincoln Northeast for her practicum. Later she became a student teacher at Omaha South, following which she then decided the school at which she wanted to teach.

“I came to East because I went K-12 in Bellevue Public Schools – graduated from B. West, and I loved my experiences as a student in this district,” Larios Vasquez said. “During college, I came to observe one of Mrs. Porras’ classes and I loved the school and the other teachers in the World Language Department so I was very excited to join.”

Lenear was a student teacher with Corina Cleminger teaching Advanced American History. He decided to stay and took over for Mrs. Cleminger, who now teaches at Papillion-La Vista South. Additionally, he teaches American Cultural Studies. 

“I stayed at Bellevue East because it is home for me; I went to school here and learned so many valuable lessons from my teachers,” Lenear said. “I have also made many lifelong friends here at East so it has always been a special place for me.”  

Getting to know their students and understand the pressures they

New teachers in action; these instructors joined East this year. In the spotlight are: (top) Matt Malcom (bottom) Eric Lenear (middle) Nathaly Larios Vasquez Photos by Grace Walter

face are part of what all teachers do, and this is no different for new teachers.

“I know it can be stressful as a student in today’s society which expects perfection, with a different outlook on life, I believe students can gain the confidence in their own abilities so that they are setting their own expectations,” Lenear said. 

Finally, Matt Malcom was drawn to Bellevue East for an opportunity to coach the wrestling team, but even more doors were opened to him. Now he teaches Life Time Activities and is also a health instructor. Like every teacher, he has a mission.

“My mission as a teacher is to provide students with the knowledge and ability to maintain a healthy lifestyle after graduation and on into their lives,” Malcom said “I like to think that my students can learn skills that they cannot attain in a typical academic setting. I only hope that my students can take one skill or concept and apply it to their lives beyond high school.”

According to the University of People, teachers provide students the opportunity for a better future. Teachers that feel happy and a sense of contentment are more successful in this vital role.

“I like East’s environment because the school feels like a safe place to be,” Vasquez said.