Dodging for charity

Sharon Guchu

FBLA hosted a dodgeball tournament on Jan. 24 at East. Students on all different teams competed to win. “I was running to go get the balls for my team in a dodgeball tournament,” Jason Bishop said.

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) held their third annual fund raising dodgeball tournament on Jan. 24 in the north gym and included 48 students.

“This year was for a community service project and we are working with Make-A-Wish to grant a student their wish,” sophomore Laynee Benne said.

FBLA holds fund raisers throughout the school year to raise money for the project being currently worked on like the community service project. The dodgeball tournament has been an annual activity for the third year in a row and will probably be continuing in the future.

“At the beginning I didn’t have a team and I wasn’t going to play,” senior Christian Archie said. “I decided to play because it’s fun and I just joined Antonio’s team late and he was the team captain.”

There were six teams with eight people in each team including the team captain. The north gym was split in half so there was two games going at once and the tournament was based around double elimination.

“The team captains had to meet with me and discussed what the rules were and everything,” Benne said. “At the same time we were making the bracket so the teams were all ready to go and start playing.”

Double elimination is when two teams go against each other and whoever lost, that team plays again against another losing team. While that is happening, the winning teams go against each other and the same process happens again.

“The winning court was on one side and it helped with the double elimination so if they were winning they would have a break off,” Benne said. “If they lost the first game then they would have a quick break while the others teams faced each other.”

For the past couple of years, the winning team would receive back their admission fees back as a prize. This year’s prize was bragging rights and the tournament bracket.

“I know what my friends weaknesses and their strengths so I felt better playing with the team I had,” Archie said. “I’m a two time champ and it’s not that easy to do.”