AFJROTC students head to France this summer

McKayla Vermeer, Co-Editor in Chief

The East AFJROTC will send junior Matthew Paul and sophomore Kailey Conley to Normandy, France, this summer for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

“This will give them something more than what they can get from a book, and it will be an experience they will remember for a long time to come,” AFJROTC instructor Lt. Col. Patrick Finan said.

During World War II, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed on French coastline to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1944. Both Paul and Conley will be in Normandy from June 6 to June 12 to march in a parade and participate in other activities.

“[They will] tour more WWII sites then they will march, along with about 60 other cadets from the heartland, in the D-Day Memorial Parade in St. Mere Eglise,” Finan said.  “They will then go to Paris where they will visit the Eiffel Tower, tour Notre Dame cathedral, Champs Elysee, the Arc d Triomphe, Opera, and Montmartre. They will visit the Louvre, and have additional sightseeing in Paris before they fly back home.”

To be chosen for the trip, cadets had to apply. Many students applied for the chance, but only two were chosen.

Paul said that he was happy to be accepted.. He said the opportunity is giving him the chance to delve more into the JROTC community.

“I’m super excited and honored to have been selected and I can’t wait to visit places where history was made, and to just have fun in a deeper involvement in JROTC,” Paul said.

According to Conley, she is most excited to get the opportunity to see and experience new things.

“I’m really excited just to be able to travel around and see all the different historical places that we get to go to,” Conley said.

For this trip to happen, former Aerospace Science instructor from East and West MSgt Robert Hamilton and his wife donated $6,000 to cover the expenses.