Kiwanis presents Bellevue art show

Sharon Guchu, Reporter

The Kiwanis Show is an art show that displays works from schools around the metro to compete with one another. This year the show took place at East High School in the South gym April 28.

“The Kiwanis Club is a community thing in Bellevue; they meet at the weekend and they sponsor the art show at Bellevue East and we always host it and we have been doing it since 2003,” senior Anabel Gallagher said.

Many different students participated and some of them won cash prizes. The show is put in different categories depending on what grade the person is in. Each category is judged by grade, giving people more of an opportunity to win. Each winner was money. Senior Miracle Ndichafah, Gallagher and senior Megan Hunter were some of the students who participated in the art show.

“I saw a lot of different drawings paintings and also 3-D crafts from people there were judges in there and then there was some pretty cool artwork. Some people drew people and painted them different colors to show some kind of feeling,” Ndichafah said.

There were many students who submitted many different works such as drawings, paintings, 3-D and also 2-D. Each art class was required to submit at least one art piece. However there was a maximum of two total.  Inspiration was involved to make the many different artworks to make the art show possible.

“My inspiration for the drawings was actually because I am creating my AP portfolio and it’s on soccer as a sport and so two of my drawings were about soccer. One was like goal keeping and the second one was just shooting,”  Ndichafah said.

Different people had different experiences in the show. Gallagher has been attending the show since her tenth grade year, but this was Ndichafah’s and Hunter’s first time there. This is the 13th year of the Kiwanis Art show coming to Bellevue.

“It was interesting because strangers were there walking around and looking at all the art pieces that were submitted and admiring them all. So I think it was nice.” Hunter said.