Bellevue hosts Go Green on Earth Day

Abbie Deng, Reporter

Go Green bellevue and Go Green Gretna held Sarpy County earth day at the lied activity center to promote environmentalism with volunteers and exhibitors from all over the community.

“Earth Day was first started 50 years ago to raise awareness that we as a people were degrading our planet, to the extent it could no longer sustain us.  Green Bellevue continues that message today, to educate our community to better care the planet in every action we take. Taking Steps to a Cleaner Future is the theme and objective.” City Councilmen Donald Priester said.

Sunday morning, parents, students and community members enjoyed their time as they engaged in the fun activities of Sarpy County Earth day, provided by various members of the sarpy county community.

“The Sarpy County Earth Day is hosted by Sarpy County, the City of Bellevue, Bellevue Public Schools. Both Green Bellevue and the newly formed Green Gretna are coordinating this year’s event” according to Bellevue.net

Several activities commenced through the afternoon including a trashion show held by the Zoo academy, face painting for kids and several others.

“Education through hands-on activities was really the main goal of Zoo Academy students this year. At Sarpy County Earth Day, students presented information on the dangers of overfishing and bycatch to populations of ocean creatures and the impacts of single-use plastics on ocean pollution and sea life as exhibitors. In addition, the students organized events featuring reusable, recyclable materials.” Tess Sykes said.

Other educational opportunities were presented at Earth day, including lessons on green energy, conservation and ways to stay green, and seeing and driving a Tesla, an electrically powered car.

“The Trashion Fashion Show, a people’s choice award for the art show, youth activities, a walk for water, making milkweed seed balls to save the monarchs, planting native cultivars, learning about electric vehicles and recycling athletic shoes.” Sykes said

Freshman William Richter also attended, his mother being the Past-vice President of Go Green Bellevue, Richter has had a lot of experience in understanding the importance of environmentalism and conservation.

“I knew a lot of things about how to be green because of my mom but like some of the studd there taught me more about solar energy and that kind of stuff” Richter said.

Bringing environmentalism to Bellevue has been of much importance to city councilman Don Priester and groups like go green Bellevue and the Zoo academy directly citing which areas that Nebraskans can have an impact on and how it has benefited the students involved.  

“I think conservation, environmentalism and stewardship are of universal importance in order to maintain a healthy Earth. However, in general, people take action in their own homes and hometowns first. Participating in the Sarpy County Earth Day has allowed students in the Zoo Academy to brainstorm how to engage people here with worldwide issues like overfishing and ocean pollution, as well as local issues like helping pollinators.” Sykes said “. This not only teaches them leadership, communication and teamwork skills, but helps support a key mission of Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium which hosts the program.”

Go Green Bellevue is always looking for volunteers to help with various events throughout the year. Students can get involved in many different ways whether directly helping to plan events or participating in the community clean up days.

“I think that Green Bellevue and the Sarpy County Earth Day Committee can always use more volunteers and activity leaders. People should also continue to learn more about what can be done to conserve the resources we have.” Sykes said

City Councilman Donald Priester also invites people to get involved,  “go to www.greenbellevue.org for resources, E-letters, activities, programs, donations and volunteering”