Giving extra space to BPS

Diego Vasquez Glover, Reporter

Springfield Platteview Community Schools proposed a boundary change that would expand the Bellevue Public schools boundaries for attendance purposes.

The district change would give all of the land east of Highway 75 to the Bellevue Public Schools attendance boundaries. In order for this to be approved, both Springfield Platteview and Bellevue Public School districts must be on board.

If they are, the State Reorganization Committee would then finalize the process of the boundary change by giving their approval.

Principal Jeffrey Wagner detailed what he believes some of the benefits are that the Bellevue school district could get from obtaining newer land.

“For one, it can increase the property tax base for us,” Wagner said. “School districts are funded with local property taxes, so if that land and then whatever gets built on there in the future is part of Bellevue, the district would reap that profit or the taxation of that land and property. So there’s some financial gains potentially down the road.”

East also can benefit form the increased population which, can improve the school’s image. It can show that a school is doing well as it shows many people want to attend at East.

“Then also the hope is that you’ll get housing and family dwellings and some of that property so then your enrollment and your population would stay at a sustainable rate or increase a little bit to ensure schools are full and thriving,” Wagner said.

According to a document released by Springfield Platteview Community Schools, the main reason for this boundary change is due to the students that are residing East of Highway 75 attending other school districts, focusing mainly on Bellevue Public Schools, despite being part of the Springfield Platteview School District.

Other benefits could come with this boundary change as well outside of the school district for Bellevue.

“It just provides us more opportunity, and more land availability, not only as a school district,” Wagner said.

The change in boundaries can help with the commute for families because Bellevue is closer to the area than Platteview schools. Bellevue is 2 miles away and Platteview is 15 miles away.

“It is not really about the school district, but it is about the city of Bellevue. Also, being able to have that property and hopefully tax base, development, and many other things,” Wagner said.

Adding his take on what he thinks the benefits could be, Bellevue resident Brandon Smith gave his input on what the land could be for if given over to school district and becomes a part of Bellevue.

“It could be beneficial to business or any people around the area, it can also help Bellevue grow, we are a small town but we are starting to grow rapidly, so more space could be necessary for the future,” Smith said.

Smith said he believes the land could be put to good use and that the expansion is cost effective.

“If they’re looking to build new school grounds that could be a new use, but as for uses, it’s just more residential,” Smith said.

Senior Conner Shares said the land could potentially be used by the city as a whole. He said he thinks the expansion could be a great thing and that the proposal is meant to benefit the people.

“I feel like it could be developed, there is always room for growth, and the city could use the money from the taxes,” Schares said.

The voting process for the boundary change will be finalized in May. Students in the qualifying areas would become a part of Bellevue Public Schools.

For the land Springfield Platteview Schools could pass on to Bellevue Public Schools, some are hoping for the future development of the area.

“I feel the Springfield district is giving up the land for the betterment of the people,” Schares said.