The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Winter’s vibes surpass summer’s

I’m going to go ahead and state the facts. Winter is  and always will be  one of the greatest seasons. Summer unfortunately, falls at the very bottom of all four seasons. Why is that you may ask?

Simply put, summer is the season full of crusty, musty, dusty, and super sweaty teenagers. It’s also when the school hall’s body odor gets extremely strong. I’m sure everyone’s smelled it. The stench forces me to the brink of extinction. 

Not to mention, in the heat, you can really only take off so many layers before reaching a point that is most likely illegal. However, it’s absolutely possible to bundle up as much as needed in the cold and it would be perfectly fine. So even if someone isn’t good with chilly temperatures, bundling up is still an option. 

The main argument as to why teenagers or students in general prefer summer is simply because there’s no school. However, that’s just the fact that school is not very well liked, and has nothing to do with the season itself. I have never come across anyone that willingly and voluntarily says, “I love the 100 degree temperatures!” The main reason is literally just because students are able to avoid attending classes.

Allow me to put it this way. Let’s say that students had school all year, no summer breaks or anything like that. Which season would still be preferred the most? The sweaty, smelly season?

Moving on from the weather and temperature aspect. Let’s talk about the vibes. Christmas songs. Christmas movies. Cookies. Late night snows, sitting on the couch bundled up. Bright lights. Trees decorated. Peppermint. I personally don’t enjoy the drink, but hot chocolate as well. And even if Christmas isn’t celebrated, the others still apply! Cozy warmth and the drifting aroma of a nice warm drink or snack. 

Does summer have any holidays, or vibes like that? Nope. Realistically, the only “holiday” you have during the summer is just the break. 

Of course, I’m not trying to say that summer break sucks. It definitely doesn’t. However, in a way, while summer break typically lasts 2-3 months, winter break is only two weeks. Some would argue that because it is so much shorter, then it’s worse. But, the way I see it, it’s important to understand that things that end quicker should be more appreciated. Winter break comes and goes so fast; therefore, we should be more appreciative of it. 

And just to clarify, I’m not saying that summer break shouldn’t be appreciated, either. It most certainly should be. My main argument is simply that winter break should be more valued because of the time frame.

Who wouldn’t like cozying up on the couch? Maybe to a book, or even a video game. It is the most perfect time to just let yourself peacefully relax; in the summer, people are usually expected to go outside and all of that. But in the winter, that isn’t entirely the case! Winter allows you stay indoors and find company and comfort in the things within your immediate surroundings that you enjoy; something that I think is a very nice concept.