The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Students prefer summer more

As the chill of winter settles in, high school students might find themselves yearning for the warmth and freedom that only summer can offer. Here are compelling reasons why the sunny season trumps winter, making it the ultimate choice for unforgettable experiences and lasting memories.

Firstly, summer is the season of great  liberation. No more annoying early morning alarms, worrying about school, homework stress, or exam pressures. It is a time for us to break free from the academic routine, hang out with our friends, go swimming, tan, and embrace the spirit of summer.

In addition, summer offers a plethora of opportunities for personal growth. With extended daylight hours, students are able to explore a large variety of hobbies, engage in community activities, or even pick up a part-time job. These experiences not only contribute to their personal development but also add valuable skills to their life.

Let’s not forget the importance of vitamin D. Summer scientifically ensures an abundance of sunlight, which is proven to boost a persons mood and overall well-being. The gentle warmth of the sun acts as a natural remedy for the depressing, dark winter blues, keeping high schoolers well energized and highly motivated throughout the break.

Socializing is another aspect where summer shines through. From pool parties to music festivals, the sunny season provides ample opportunities for us high schoolers to connect with friends and forge some new relationships. Winter, with its harsh chilly temperatures and snow-covered landscapes, tends to limit social interactions to indoor spaces, missing the vibrant atmosphere that summer effortlessly delivers.

During summer, you have so much extra time off of school that you are able to take a long, much needed vacation from home. For some, two months off of school is enough of a vacation. Rather you decide to travel by plane, book a cruise, take a road trip, or stay at home, summer is the perfect time.

My opponent may argue that winter holidays often bring families together, fostering a sense of warmth and togetherness. I agree the festive season can be a time for high schoolers to create lasting memories with loved ones, participating in traditions and enjoying special moments that uniquely define the holiday spirit. However, it’s crucial to acknowledge that winter’s charm often has a downside, with the cold weather limiting a lot of outdoor options and creating a sad sense of confinement.

In conclusion, while the winter season may have its unique charm, there is no denying that summer is extremely better. It is a season of warmth, sunshine, vibrancy, freedom, adventure, personal growth, and social connections all wrapped up in the warmth of the sun. So, as the snow begins to fall outside, we will all be waiting in anticipation for a vibrant summer filled with sunshine, smiles,  endless possibilities and unforgettable memories.