The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Students express themselves through art

Get+creative.+In+painting+class%2C+sophomore+Silver+Hagan+uses+her+artistic+talent+by+painting+a+stool.+%E2%80%9CI+think+that+taking+art+in+school+will+make+me+better+and+I+think+it%E2%80%99ll+help+me+for+the+future+when+I+want+to+continue+doing+art%2C%E2%80%9D+Hagan+said.+
Layla Hango
Get creative. In painting class, sophomore Silver Hagan uses her artistic talent by painting a stool. “I think that taking art in school will make me better and I think it’ll help me for the future when I want to continue doing art,” Hagan said.

In the heart of Bellevue East High School, creativity flourishes as students unleash their artistic potential, transforming the corridors and art classrooms into a vibrant gallery of talent. The school’s art scene is not merely a collection of drawings and paintings, it is a display of the students’ talent and unique perspectives. School art is extremely important to students and staff.

“Art is really calming and I always have a lot of fun doing it. It’s a great way to just carve some time out of your day.” senior  Eowyn Ziegerer said.

For students, engaging in art is more than just playing with paint or sculpting clay, it is a journey of self-expression and self-discovery. Through artistic expression, students explore the depths of their imagination, learn to communicate complex emotions, and develop problem solving skills. Art provides a unique platform for self-reflection, fostering creativity and critical thinking that extends far beyond the art classroom.

“I think that participating in school art helps me strengthen my skills for when I do it at home and it’s just an easy A for me. I really find joy in art and I feel like I need that at school,” sophomore Silver Hagan said.

Equally crucial is the impact of staff members. School art creates an environment where educators witness firsthand the transformative power of creativity. By integrating art into the curriculum, teachers can tap into diverse learning styles, reaching students who might otherwise struggle in traditional academic settings. The collaborative nature of art projects also strengthens the teacher student relationship, giving them a sense of trust and shared accomplishment.

“Three of my current students have told me they want to become art teachers after taking my class. I’ve had students who have won both local and national competitions. Recently, we’ve had a doctor of mental wellness reach out to a student to ask to purchase their work that is displayed in the artist co-op gallery in Omaha,” art instructor Trish Swoboda said.

Moreover, the school becomes a gallery of inspiration, adorned with the collective efforts of its artistic community. Whether it is a painting symbolizing unity or a sculpture representing diversity, the visual language of art communicates messages that words alone cannot convey.

“Art has more impact now than it ever did because we rely so much on visual language versus the written word since it’s more of a global language,” Swoboda said.

School art serves as a sanctuary where students and staff can break free from the constraints of routine, encouraging them to explore their imagination. Art is not just an extracurricular activity or class; it is an important part of education that allows students to navigate their dynamic futures.

“I plan to be an art teacher so hopefully taking all of these art classes will affect me positively. I have definitely learned a lot of skills this year, but it also helped me decide if I wanted to pursue a career that’s more arts related or if I want to do something that would require an analysis of my own work,” Ziegerer said.