Tennis ends strong

Sharon Guchu, Reporter

Tennis started a while ago and they have been going this to prepare for different matches, invites and tournaments. Sophomore Kaylee Azafui is one of the players in girls tennis this year. She plays number one doubles and number one singles.

One of the coaches is Krista Tew. She has been playing tennis for 14 years and decided to start coaching. Since then she has been coaching for seven years.

“I started coaching because I love tennis, but my brother told me that there was an opening because my old head coach was leaving and my JV coach was taking over and they were looking for somebody and I just thought it would be a fun job because I love tennis,” Tew said.

In tennis, there is a lot of running so the players need a lot of endurance because there can be very long matches. To prepare for the long matches, conditioning is needed. In conditioning, they do a lot of footwork and running. To play, warm-ups are the first thing that tennis players do and that is hitting the ball across the court to see the opponents style of serving or returning the ball. Then, when the match starts, you take some serves and try to put the ball in and try not to hit it outside the box. Then you continue till someone messes up.

“It’s definitely my favorite sport; me and my husband, we both played it in high school, so it’s one of those things that  we obviously connect on,” Tew said.

This year there are many new players on the team. They got more players than they have gotten in a long time. Some of them from last year are getting into the game and understanding more of what is going on.

“This year I am more focused in tennis, more competitive than I was last year,” sophomore Kaylee Adzafui said.    

Score count in tennis just like all the other sports. Something that is different about scoring in tennis is that they do it for individual players. They are scored by how many games they played either singles or doubles.

“I think there is a lot of development going on and preparing for next year with losing all the seniors that we are so it’s really about preparing the girls for next year. It’s going to be a tough year, but I think what we have gained this year will definitely be helpful for  next year,”  Tew said.