The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Look-alike siblings: the struggle is real

Two boys walk into the same advisory Monday through Friday. They have the same hair, nose, head, and eyes. Whoever walks in first is the target of the guessing game called Calvin or Christian. This time, like most times, their teacher got it wrong yet again. This is the life of two identical twins named Calvin and Christian McKoy.

“Usually, every time I go to advisory I get confused, he’ll be like ‘Christian, no Calvin’ and I say ‘you got it wrong it’s Christian,’” Sophomore Christian McKoy said. Besides their identical looks they also have similarities in they’re personalities. Christian and Calvin both participate in football and track at Bellevue East High School. Playing the same sports under the same coach allowed others to see who they are as people. 

“I feel like they’re really similar in their personalities, as people they both are respectful, very kind, very nice, and they’re extremely helpful to their fellow teammates and classmates in the hallway,” athletics coach Aaron Thumann said.

From afar they may look the same, but up close there are some things are noticeably different – their hair and their styles. You can catch Christian wearing a more of a street wear kind of style and you can catch Calvin wearing a sporty style.

“We have different styles,” Christian McKoy said, “I wear more like jeans; he wears sweatpants and crocs. He always wears Crocs.”

According to the Learn.Genetics, a genetic science learning center in University of Utah, identical twins share the exact same DNA, but each twin has his or her own personality, talents, likes, or dislikes. Calvin and Christian both have very different interests and talents.  

“He plays games a lot more than I do, that’s something he loves to do,” Christian McKoy said. “ I like to cook.”

Pop-culture identifies identical looking siblings in many movies and TV shows like “Tia and Tamera,” or “The parent Trap.” In these movies it’s expressed that these siblings get confused as each other extremely often. This is daily problem for Calvin and Christian.

“It’s an everyday thing, probably twice or more times a day,” Sophomore Calvin McKoy said.

When it comes to Christian and Calvin looking similar, it has its positives and negatives.

“It’s cool but it can get annoying sometimes,” Calvin said. “We kind of look the same, but at the same time we aren’t the same.”

Twinning
Sophomore Identical twins Calvin an Christian McKoy show how different and unique their styles are. Christian [left] enjoys wearing a street style and Calvin [right] enjoys wearing a sporty type of style. “My hair is longer than his,” Christian McKoy said. Photo by Lailyah Duncan
Say cheese! Freshmen identical twins Emma and Addyson Knuth may look very similar, but are still different. Addyson Knuth [left] is in softball. Ella Knuth [right], wearing a blue long sleeve shirt and black leggings, participates in cheer. “I like being sisters, it’s nice to have someone there,” freshman Addyson Knuth said. Photo by Lailyah Duncan
Similar Siblings.
Freshman Josh Bartolome and Junior JC Sean Bartolome have a 2-year age gap but look very similar. Josh [left] and JC Sean [right] are interested in different things. “If you saw us when we were kids, we definitely looked alike then but I see it now as well,” Freshman Josh Bartolome said. Photo by Lailyah Duncan
Same but different. Identical twins and seniors Grace Eltiste [right] and Emma Eltiste [left] show their differences and similarities. They both are very alike and enjoy being twins.“We are like the same person. I think we have the same personality, it’s awesome,” Grace Eltiste said. Photo by Lailyah Duncan