The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Sophomores start driving process; upperclassmen gain experience

Point A to point B. Driving to her destination, sophomore Mackenzie Smock is behind the wheel on her way to watch a tennis match on March 28. Smock received her license in November of 2023, shortly after she turned 16. “My goal is that I can safely drive to and from without getting into an accident and to not receive a speeding ticket or any ticket for that matter,” Smock said. “I hope to be a safe driver for the rest of my life.” Photo by Charley Leon

Sophomore Mackenzie Smock hit the unlock button on her remote. She opened up the door to her vehicle and sat down. Before taking off, she fastened her seatbelt and adjusted her mirrors. Smock plugged her Aux cord into her phone and started playing her favorite music. Excited to get to her destination, she first made sure to check her surroundings and drive with caution since she just got her license this school year.

Smock received her license shortly after she turned 16. Once someone turns 15 years old they are eligible to get their learner’s permit. In order to receive this permit, they are required to take a written test at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). With this permit, teenagers can start learning how to operate a vehicle with an adult present to guide them through driving. Once ready, 16-year-olds can start taking the driver’s test to get their official license.

“My favorite part about driving is finally being old enough to drive,” Smock said. “It’s so surreal. When I was a little kid I couldn’t wait to drive and be a teenager, and now I’m actually there, I’m of driving age. I like being able to actually drive and offer people rides now.”

Teenage students are starting to get on the driving path to their license, and with the help of parents and driver’s education instructors, they can gain many useful skills. Driver’s education classes are highly recommended and give new drivers more benefits than only learning without them according to Drivers Ed instructors.

“Any new driver should have a good idea of the rules behind the wheel,” Cornhusker Driving School instructor Anna Diederich said. “It is also important to know the laws. In class, there is so much that is covered and those two topics are what we like to focus on. If you have someone that didn’t take Driver’s Ed, they don’t know all the ins and outs of this important task.” 

Driving can provide teens not only with a form of transportation, but also it can allow them to develop other skills as well. One of those skills include multitasking, since a person’s brain focuses on steering the wheel, moving the pedals accordingly, and navigating their way through roads to the destination. In addition, if teens take these classes, they don’t have to take the DMV driver’s test. Instead, they can just receive a certificate saying that they are qualified enough to get a license.

“It is great to see our students get to have the opportunity of getting their license. Driving is a huge part of life and I think sometimes we forget how important it is in our day-to-day life,” Diederich said.

Since driving is a big aspect of people’s lives, it’s crucial that new drivers learn how to be safe. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding is a big safety issue for teen drivers, and it was a factor in 32% of teen fatal crashes. Speeding can be hard to maintain for many new drivers. Smock took her driver’s test for the first time and couldn’t pass because she was speeding.

“I definitely learned to keep an eye on the speedometer, keep an eye on signs, and don’t worry about keeping up with traffic during the test,” Smock said.

Senior Lillian Jones got her license during her sophomore year and has seen more improvements in her driving abilities. One of those is parking, which is a tough challenge that Jones came across.

“I feel more confident now because I’ve had more practice and more explanation about driving,” Jones said.

Before getting on the road, students should be prepared and fully ready before putting themselves in serious situations. Being cautious, leaving space, checking speed, and maintaining an awareness of their surroundings are elements that driving instructors deem as essential.

“Take your time and don’t be in a rush,” Diedrich said. “Even though everyone else is in a rush doesn’t mean you need to keep up with them. Work your way up. Start with the side streets and once you get comfortable move on to the major roads and so on. This is not only something we do every day, but it also can be deadly. That is why it is important to make sure you are comfortable with the situations you put yourself in when on the road.”