The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

East bowling teams go to state

Say cheese! The boys bowling team took 8th overall at the state bowling competition and took a pin signed with all of their names and bowling-championship sweatshirts as a souvenir. After the boys matches, they took a group photo to highlight the hard work. From left to right stands senior Kevin Dillingham, junior Brent Buck, senior Jayce Hollars, juniors Matt Dieterich, and Liam Zarp. Laying in front of the bowling pin with his head on his hand and a smile is Nolan Jones. “On the day of the state tournament I was very nervous and happy at the same time,” Buck said. Photo by Addison Pithan
All together now. At the Nebraska State bowling tournament on Monday, February 5, 2024, senior Chloe Fisicaro stands together with senior Alahna Gares and sophomore Shania Curtright, arms around one another, backs facing the bowling alley, smiles bright. Fisicaro said that she made it to state the past three years and wanted to secure the streak, her last year, her senior year. “State was a really big deal for me because I had worked so hard to be one of those people who other opponents were scared of. This is my last year to show people I deserve to be here,” Fisicaro said. Photo by Addison Pithan
Autograph please! After a day full of competition, the boys bowling team came together to sign a bowling pin from the championships signifying the journey all the way to state. On the right signing his name is junior Matt Dieterich on the left is junior Liam Zarp. “I was really nervous because I knew we were going against the number one team in the state so I knew we had a challenge, but I thought we could beat them,” Zarp said. Photo by Addison Pithan
Ready, set, go. At the state bowling championship, senior Brooklyn Thurman swings her ball into the lane. “For us to go to state, I think it felt amazing. My favorite part of bowling is probably getting to know your teammates, and not only that, you get to have memories,” Thurman said. Thurman has been part of East’s bowling team for two years, but has had some experience in middle school.. Photo by Addison Pithan
Huddle up! At the girl’s state bowling tournament on Feb. 5, senior Chloe Fisicaro talks to the team during their first round. Sophomore Abbey Stinson and some of the other girls on the team were nervous entering the tournament, and a pep talk during their first round is what they needed to prepare for the rest of the tournament. As someone who’s been bowling since she was 10 years old, Stinson was quite happy to be going to state after many years of practice and hard work. “It actually felt really good (to make state)…and that I accomplished something,” Stinson said. Photo by Addison Pithan
There it goes. Rolling down the lane the ball goes swishing, knocking, and smashing into the pins. Pin fell after pin, gaining points for the team as each fell down. The crashing sound of balls hitting pins filled the air. The sweat was gathering in the palms of the players. Nerves filled the room along with glee. They had gotten this far. This was the state tournament for Bellevue East. They had worked all season and some longer to get to this point. A senior, J ayce Hollars, the winner of 15th place, reflects on his long bowling journey as his team made it to states. “I started bowIing when I was 3 years old and I thought it was fun,” Hollars said. Photo by Addison Pithan