The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Students plan for summer activities

From counting down the exact minutes until school is over for the year, to finally hearing those bells of freedom – now, after school is out of session, finding ways to spend their summer is something every student contemplates. Sophomore Cota Barmore thinks about her traveling plans, while sophomore David Baker thinks about his occupation this summer.

Having a productive and enjoyable summer is a goal for many students. This summer, students will participate in activities such as traveling, getting a job, or exploring what Bellevue has to offer for recreation. Traveling and being employed during this break can have many benefits.

“I think it just makes a good image on you, it’s not all about the money and it helps you for your future too,” Baker said.

Getting a job as a lifeguard is Baker’s goal. In order to become certified for a lifeguard job, Baker had to pay $175 for proper training, classes, and certification. Each session lasts eight hours on the weekends, with four hours in the pool, one hour break, and four hours of presentation and learning. 

“Being a lifeguard is dope, you get to be shirtless and save people,” Baker said. “I’m pretty excited because these types of jobs come with a lot of responsibility.”

According to Prepory College Counseling and Career Coaching, having a summer job can give students a clear purpose. It can help them save money for college and help them gain better collaboration skills. Students can gain confidence and establish a healthy work ethic.

“If you put something like that on your resume in the future, it looks really good on you because it shows that you have good problem solving skills,” Baker said. “It shows that you are also a composed person and that you can persevere through something that sucks all day long and still save people.”

Barmore’s plan for the summer is to head down to Anna Maria, Florida. She is traveling with her boyfriend and his family, and plans on participating in tanning, swimming, boating, golf cart riding, and sea turtle spotting. Europe Language Jobs, an organization that helps individuals find jobs in Europe using their native language to gain international experience, said that traveling has many benefits such as  broadening horizons and stepping out of one’s comfort zone. 

“I’ve never been before,” Barmore said. “I’m so excited because I love visiting new places and I love traveling and experiencing the world, even if it’s just the United States.”

If someone is choosing not to travel this summer, Bellevue still has many activities that people can enjoy. The Bellevue Recreation Department offers programs for everyone from age 3 to adults. One of their most versatile activities is their track program that is from ages 5 to ages 18.

“The Bellevue Recreation Department has approximately 35 different activities that they can be involved with throughout the year, about 15 different activities through the summer,” Parks and Recreation Director Jim Shada said. “We have swimming, tennis lessons, tennis tournaments every weekend for the month of June that the youth can participate in, we have baseball and softball leagues, and a track program.” 

There are many benefits for the youth ages 18 and under for the activities. Shada highlights the advantages that the programs offer, such as exercise, fun, getting to know new people, learning skills, and learning how to play with other young people. To sign up for the programs, visit the Bellevue Recreation website.

“There are all kinds of opportunities that they can gain from it,” Shada said. “Obviously it gives them something to do, it’s a fun event that they can enjoy with their friends or new friends, and it’s something to do outside when the weather is nice.”