The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

East student Ryder Pugh is verified artist on Spotify

Zaiyon
Break a leg. Unleashing all of the thoughts he has, Zaiyon turns emotion into a language that everyone can understand. He has released multiple songs and albums on Spotify and Apple Music. “If I’m going through struggles, I’ll just write about it,” Zaiyon said.

Stepping up to the stage, grabbing the microphone, and getting into the zone, junior Ryder Pugh (otherwise known as Zaiyon) displays his artistic abilities through his music. Rapping is a future and current passion of Zaiyon’s. Whether he’s in the studio or just at his house, Zaiyon doesn’t fail to produce hardworking music.

2018 is where it all began. Zaiyon’s music is produced and put on both Spotify and Apple Music. The Culxr House located in North Omaha is where he participates in open microphone nights and appears on the stage. Culxr House is a facility for growing artists to be creative. That is where he can get beats from his producer as well. “It’s a safe haven for artists; it’s a record shop, venue, and music studio for all artists who just want to collaborate and work together,” Zaiyon said.

Music usually has a purpose and inspiration behind it. It is a way that anyone can express their interests, drive, and true identity. In this case, Zaiyon shares what inspired him to start rapping in the first place.

“My family inspired me because my brothers were in bands and my mom got a scholarship from Oregon State for choir,” Zaiyon said. “They introduced music to me a lot.”

Zaiyon said that he writes songs about his life and the struggles he goes through. A particularly meaningful song for Zaiyon is one he identified “Untitled 2” on his album titled “HAPPY!” He explains the purpose of writing that song and what it was about.

“I just wrote it about my mom because she’s a single mom and I’m giving her credit for raising me,” Zaiyon said.

Not only does he get his inspira- tion and drive for rapping from his family, he also features his family in his songs. Although Zaiyon prefers to make music alone, collaborations are still an element in his music. Zaiyon said that he makes music with his middle brother who is featured on some of his songs. He will also do collaborations with other artists that are in the studio with him, with no added cost.

“If someone else’s fanbase hears me on them [songs], they can engage in mine,” Zaiyon said. “I don’t see a point in making people pay when all it is, is just engaging more.”

Through the Culxr House, Zaiyon was able to get a producer for some of his beats and songs. His producer, Marcey Yates, speaks out about how successful he thinks Zaiyon is and the potential he sees in him.

“I think he has a bright future the more experienced he becomes and comfortable expressing who he his,” Yates said.

Zaiyon plans on making a future career off of his music, starting off with a stable job that is reliable after graduation. He hopes that his music will lead the main path in his future. As starting any thing new could be a challenge for some, Zaiyon gives a piece of ad- vice to those wanting to start making music.

“Don’t be nervous, just open up a lot more, be yourself,” Zaiyon said.