The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Sleep deprivation impacts students

Layla Hango
Taking a snooze. Many students are sleeping in class due to sleep deprivation, often caused by screen time. “I’m constantly tired during school,” sophomore Sandra Piper said.

Ever wonder why some of your classmates seem like zombies in the morning? It turns out, burning the midnight fuel for school might be the culprit. At Bellevue East, the lack of sleep is more than just yawning or dozing off in class; it is a real issue affecting students’ brains and emotions. Sleep deprivation seems to be common at East.

“It’s like I can’t get enough sleep,” sophomore Sandra Piper said.

Picture this: late night study sessions, endless homework hours, and the blue light from our screens keeping us company. That’s the scene we’re digging into, a world where success often means sacrificing sleep. This makes students question if it’s really worth it.

“If I don’t get enough sleep, school can be very stressful and I won’t do my best,” sophomore CJ Magee said.

A good night’s sleep is more important than students might think. As they race against the clock to meet deadlines, maybe it’s time to hit the pause button and realize that sleep isn’t just a luxury; it’s a key ingredient for both good grades and feeling good.

According to a study done by the University of Arizona Department of Medicine, “some of the most prominent effects of disturbed sleep can be reduced physical performance, reduced mental and cognitive performance, reduced recovery time from injury and worse mental health.”

Let’s face it, almost everyone has pulled an all-nighter or two, thinking it’s a rite of passage. However, the reality is that the consequences are severe. It’s not just about feeling groggy, it’s about struggling to concentrate, forgetting what you just studied, and dealing with mood swings that make an average day at school a roller coaster of emotions.

“Getting enough sleep is important so that you can process what you’re learning, and remember information,” Magee said.

A big cause of sleep deprivation among high school students is our screens. The glow of our phones have become our nightly companions and it’s dimming students’ success and well-being.

“I personally believe that it is our devices, whether that’s a tablet or phone,” counselor Sarah Strawn said. “I think that kids are up late at night scrolling on YouTube or TikTok. Maybe a small percentage of kids are video gaming until the early hours of the morning, but it’s definitely going to have long term effects on their education because they won’t be getting everything they need from school.”

Let’s hit the snooze button on the notion that sleep can be sacrificed for success. In the end, a well-rested mind is crucial for every high school student navigating the demands of classes, homework, and extracurricular activities.

“It is important for high school students to get enough sleep so that they can focus,” Piper said.