The Student News Site of Bellevue East High School

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

The Tom Tom

Show choir students prepare for competitions

Dancing. Stepping. Feet in place. Junior Lenna Fowler, freshman Kaelin Karl, sophomore Emerson Schubauer, and sophomore Aislynn Holcomb (left to right) practice in the choir room for upcoming competitions. Their highly athletic practice shows arm swinging and quite a lot of footwork. “It always comes together by showtime,” Vocal Music Director Cameron Stussie said. Photo by Emily Hollars

The show choir members stand before row after row of children, .waiting to move with much thought. First starting slowly, just moving hands and staring at their feet. There is chatter and excitement. Finally, they turn up the music, and as things get faster, chatter stops. They have the audience’s attention now. They sing in complete harmony, sending shivers down backs, drawing in their audience. Bellevue East show choir practices and prepares for their upcoming competitions. 

“I feel really prepared,” Director Cameron Stussie said. “I think the students have been working hard, and they have been going up and beyond to catch up on rehearsal time, especially with the snow days. They have been coming in after school. They have been coming in during GPS. They have been getting together on the weekends to run over certain elements of the show which is important.” 

Practice makes perfect is the common phrase, but Stussie said there’s a little more to show choir than that.

“Once competition season rolls around, it’s more about trusting the practice and trusting the training and performers letting their natural selves shine on stage,” Stussie said. “We talk a lot with our choreographers, and what we try to embody is not just to be singers and dancers, but to be performers and adding that extra element to it.”

On another level, there are decisions that have to be made. According to StageRight, there is a process of choosing themes and the common decisions that go into show choir. 

“It is a long process, from selecting the show, and selecting the music, and ordering the uniforms, to getting a 15 minute show on the stage, and looking good and sounding good,” Stussie said.

Some of the members of the show choir have a lot to say about their experiences when it comes to performing. Things they get to experience that are often similarly enjoyed.

“It’s a very cool, entertaining, and fun experience getting the chance to see other schools’ performances at each competition,” junior Nopkamon Apichonabut said.

Students also believe show choir has affected their lives in more of a social aspect. Its effect on their lives and how being a part has impacted their views on life.

“It has added multiple things to my life; experiences, friends, skills, and many more,” Apichonabut said.

Show choir taught senior Abigail Kazakevicius a life skill, one that she can apply outside of the group. 

“It has taught me how to work with other people,” Kazakevicius said.

Show Choir with all said previously has more happening than what originally comes to mind. Time limits and other concerns can make competition a challenge, but working together, the students can find success.

“It’s about making that connection and at the same time trying to manage the nerves and concerns from students,” Stussie said.

Members have activities they do to help deal with being nervous.

“We do this thing where on the side of the wings before we get on,” Kazakevicius said “We pump each other up. Send each other hearts. Talk to the people around me, like ‘we are going to do great,’ definitely manifesting.”