Students appreciated in annual art show

Charley Leon Features Editor

The 2023 Art Show hosted at East shows off grades 9-12 artwork. Students shared the art pieces they are passionate about on display for parents and other students to admire. These pieces were then judged and put into certain places based on grades.

A.C. Loftman was the original creator of the art shows that happen annually with East, Bellevue West, Bryan High School, and sometimes Gross Catholic High School. He was a member of the Bellevue Kiwanis Club and the Bellevue Artists Association, which is the co-sponsor of the show.

“I encourage all of my students to enter the art show. I ask that each student submit something because they have all worked so hard this semester and it is an easy way to show off their hard work since it is hosted at Bellevue East,” instructor Emily Vidlak said..

The first show was hosted at Bellevue West in 2003 and has been a hit since. Students got cash prices for placing. The first place for each grade gets $100, the second gets $50, and the third gets $25. The honorable mentions get $10, the best of the show gets $125, and the spirit award gets $100. These cash prices become good motivators for the students to try their best to win. 

Vidlak, an art teacher at East, tries to get all her students to enter. This will help them get their artwork out into the public eye and push them to become more passionate about art. It can also show how many others express themselves through art.

“My passion in art is drawing realistic portraits. I find myself really inspired and interested by certain people so I like to spend my time making a portrait of them. Making sure I get the details and likeness of a person down on paper is rewarding for me. Drawing someone is really showing your care and attention for them,” senior Payton Lardino said.

The show was set up in the north gym with pieces hung on walls and displayed on tables. There was 3-D and 2-D art shown. It takes many teachers and students to set up the show before allowing parents and judges to enter.

”I help set up the show with Ms. Swoboda, as well as the art teachers from Bellevue West and Bryan High School. We appreciate any students who stay after school and help set up the show with us,” Vidlak said.

Now, what might not get accounted for is the hard work the students put into making the artwork itself. They have the option of whether or not to create a new piece just for the show, or enter an older one. Most want to create something new that shows off their full potential in art. 

Whether some are serious about an art career or not, this show was beneficial for those that won and got money and for those that didn’t. It was an experience and helped drive students to do better and work harder for next year’s show.

“I think that money is always a great motivator for students, but also the fact of having your art seen by the community is a good motivator for students. I think that the cash prizes help boost confidence for students and make it more likely for students to submit artwork to future art shows,” Vidlak said.